Then answer the following questions, also available in our World Literature Books, page 995
- What is your reaction to Michael’s explanation of what men live by?
- In your own words, explain what the three lessons are that Michael learns and how they are related.
- Besides love, what are some other virtues illustrated by the characters in the story. Support with evidence.
- Do you think Michael deserved to be punished by God? Why?
- Taking in a stranger can be dangerous in our society today. What do you think would happen if Michael appeared in your neighborhood in need of food, clothing and shelter? Do you think it would be possible for him to learn the same lessons? (remember Tim’s grandmother and his last talk at retreat. Use his story as a comparison).