Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Research in the lab

Hi Seniors,

NOTE: Read all of the long letter below.

I miss you! I'm so sorry I've been gone. I wouldn't miss this many days if it weren't necessary. Please do your best today and I will answer all your questions when I return.


You should have recieved your topic request from the substitute. The topic highlighted in yellow is your topic. If you have two topics highlighted in yellow, it means you can choose--I probably did this to encourage you to choose your #2 choice, however you are free to choose either. If you pink highlighting on your paper, it means you and I need to talk when I come back. Go ahead and start researching anyway. It's early enough that what you find will still be useful.


Your assignment today is to find 3-5 useful web-based sources. Look for webzines (Time and Newsweek have one), online newspapers (newyorktimes.com), news shows (CNN, The Today Show, Dateline, etc), databases with articles, images, videos, etc. Don't limit yourself to putting your topic into google. [Remember, if you want to gain some background knowledge, feel free to use Wikipedia, but remember it can't be a source. Check out the reference links at the bottom of the article.]

You may print up to five pages from MS Word. Do not print directly from the web. When you copy and paste, be sure to find your bibliographic information to copy and paste it too. Always copy the website. Save these MS Word documents to your H://, in which I hope you've created a "Senior paper" folder.

A key element to finding these sources is reading them. Make time to find them in class, and read at least one thoroughly in class. Before printing, you should be scanning for key words. Don't underestimate the use of the "ctrl F" !! Ask the person next to you if you don't know what this does. For homework, read the rest of these sources and begin highlighting key infomation. You will get credit for them when I get back.

Do not use the time to talk to your friends. We are not moving any due dates because I've been sick.

Please email me with any questions!
Get work done and be good for your substitute teacher!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

What's up Step Mill? You know that I am extremely surprised that you have been missing all these days of school. But yes we do miss you dearly because class has been so so so boring lol....
Hope everything is going okay.
Love Always
Tara Moore
Also Period 2 English44 class...